PDA

View Full Version : What is the PCV system supposed to look like?

Machineria
02-27-2013, 09:18 PM
It looks really disgusting under the hood. Half of the problem is oil gaskets that have gone (oilpan, others), but the big problem is that the PCV system consists of nothing more than a hose from the valvecover to the intake hose before the turbo. Is there supposed to be more?

recian
02-28-2013, 08:47 AM
I don't believe there is. It doesn't use a PCV system. The mitsu engines use a PCV in the valve cover if it has one.

Machineria
03-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Well, I don't like that. My BMW has somekinda round membrane on the back of the intake manifold, and a cone thingy deep inside the block. An Isuzu I worked on recently had some doohickey attached to the valvecover, then a hose from that to the intake. I'd like to install one on this truck, but I'm having a hard time finding an aftermarket piece. What's the proper name for what I want? Oil condenser?

recian
03-01-2013, 07:01 PM
PCV valve. but the breather allows better flow than the restrictive valve. That's why mitsu didn't put one in the truck. Diesel crank case pressure is most likely higher than gas. If you take the higher flow and put a restrictive PCV valve you can blow out all the seals in the block. PCV is an emissions component, it prevents the oil soaked air from inside the block from getting into the atmosphere by closing at lower PSI (idle) then venting it into the engine. Most newer cars are using PCV and breather.