PDA

View Full Version : Power Brute limited slip diff.

yamahlr
02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
I have seen this advertised at a number of sites for our trucks, found one place with a price of $370.47 for the unit. Anyone heard (or read)anything of the performance and durability? What other parts will I need to have on hand (from Mitsu.) I would have it done professionally, we have a good trans / diff. guy in town.

yamahlr
03-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Update to my earlier post. I contacted Precision Gear and spoke with their tech person. I asked a number of questions about the Power brute limited slip that is made for our vehicles (both 4 cyl. and 6 cyl.). Here is the story, the new company purchased Precision Gear's assets a while back. Within the inventory was the Power Brute line. They are no longer manufactured. There will be no rebuilding kits as of this time. There are 37 of the 4 cyl. units left in stock. When they are gone, at this time there is no plan to make more. I inquired about a group buy, and the sales manager is supposed to call me back next week. I have seen the price as low as $299.00 for a unit on the net and let him know this. If the price was right, I might be interested in purchasing two (one for parts if the need arises). He did say they want to close out the line, but could not comment on price. Let me know any interest this week and I'll relay to the sales manager when / if he calls me. I also asked about the needed installation parts which would be source from Mitsu. (bearings,shims,etc...). Lastly, there have been a number of posts on other sites about who manufactured this Power Brute unit. Others have said Mitsubishi,Aisin or Fuji Heavy Industries. He indicated as far as he knew Precision Gear did, although as I said this company bought them out. Hope this sheds some light on this component. Please post if you have an interest in a group buy. I will post this on the other Mitsu 4X4 sites as i get time.

pennyman1
03-19-2013, 05:45 PM
I think I paid $85 off of ebay for mine brand new - I would have to look. I have not compared it to the lsd I have from a 1st gen montero yet - will take pics of both if I do.

yamahlr
03-19-2013, 07:51 PM
WOW! Where did you get it from? I'd buy 3 at that price!

pennyman1
03-20-2013, 04:31 PM
I'd have to look at my purchases on ebay for the seller - he sold 3 of them real cheap - one other person on here got the last one he sold.

4cylinders
03-22-2013, 08:16 PM
hey, need one bad for my street truck.
please keep this info up to date.

yamahlr
03-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Received follow-up call from sales manager. We are trading messages at this point but hope to make contact tomorrow.

noahwins
03-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Interested...

yamahlr
03-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Here's the info guys. I spoke with the sales rep. for the company that bought out Precision Gear. He advised the following with regard to the limited slip for our trucks. It is an Auburn limited slip unit. He sent me a pic of the box (which says Auburn on it) and our application number on it. The price for a group buy is $299 + shipping. They have approx. 37 available, all new in the box. As I recall, the Auburn was a pretty good unit (although someone with experience other than that feel free to chime in). Seems like a pretty fair deal, might be able to shave the price a bit as the amount of orders go up. There are at their warehouse in GA. each in a sealed box & ready to ship out. Next week, I will identify the parts necessary for the install from my friendly Mitsu dealer. He is very aggressive with regard to pricing, so I will quote that as well if anyone is interested. I am going to post this at a couple of other sites as well.

Andy 2
03-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Count me in.

noahwins
03-29-2013, 08:36 AM
I guess the installation of this is going to be way more complicated than remove and replace and there's a whole bunch of other stuff that's needed? What will it do to the driveline ratios if anything?

I assume this is the LOM83? Looks like these go for around $400 elsewhere. Nice find, yamahlr.

http://www.precisiongear.com/powerbrute.htm

4cylinders
03-30-2013, 12:42 PM
hey, these trucks have a drop out differential.
they have adjustable backlash for the carrier bearings.
the LSD replaces the ring gear carrier. take the old one out.
switch the bearings over to the LSD. put it back in and adjust.
there is no change in the ratio. that would be the ring and pinion gear.
if you don't have enough power to spin the tires, you need a V8!!

yamahlr
03-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Nice walk through on the R&R for the lsd. What parts should I have the Mitsu parts guy look up? I'm thinking bearings, shim kit gasket set, anything else? I don't want to go further with this unless we can source the parts necessary to set up the ring & pinion again. Nothing more frustrating than getting bogged down in trying to find the necessary parts after the lsd comes.

4cylinders
03-30-2013, 06:40 PM
hey, if the original bearings don't make noise, they don't need replaced.
there aren't any shims in that part of the differential. the only gasket is where the
complete carrier bolts into the rear axle housing.
if you have a service manual, look up differential carrier.
a picture is worth a thousand words.

4cylinders
03-30-2013, 06:48 PM
oops, I should add, I have 6 of these trucks. there are no parts of them untouched.
there is a carrier sitting in the shop ready to be reassembled with an LSD.
I've just been waiting for the right time and enough money to finish it.
can't hardly wait to try out a 2 tire burnout....

4cylinders
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
hey, no new news on this?
who do we contact to get one now?

yamahlr
04-03-2013, 03:51 PM
We will need to get a group buy with a start and end date together. They WILL NOT take individual orders. Let me know how many are in on the GB and I will get the specifics on shipping (it is my hope that we can get them to do a flat rate shipping charge payment). I will contact the rep to get payment instructions (made out I'm sure to the company but in one large order as opposed to orders coming in piecemeal which they will not do). If we can't get agreement on the terms he set, we would need to buy from a retailer (at a higher price I suspect). I've had an unexpected medical issue take place so I haven't got to the dealer to get an idea what other parts are necessary for an install, and availability. I have seen that a variety of seals and bearings are available from ROCKAUTO.Com. I hope to get to the dealer by the middle of next week. They also have a tech guy who will provide a rough list, but he indicated to me that Precision Gear did not leave any instructions or a parts sheet to go off of. They do have install kits for some other makes but not the Mitsu.

yamahlr
04-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Is anyone interested in me pursuing this further?

4cylinders
04-08-2013, 02:45 PM
hey, yes, the sooner the better.

Andy 2
04-08-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm interested. I'd like to know what all the required parts are and whether or not they are available.Being in Canada, parts from Mitsu dealers won't happen. I called one to get an availability for a part ( I even had the part number) a while back and was told their catalogue doesn't go that far back. I don't think Mitsubishi has been in Canada as long as the US. If everything else required can be found at Rock Auto then no problem. As far as the bearings and seals go, if you have to pull the axles you might as well replace them while your in there.

yamahlr
04-08-2013, 07:18 PM
That is what my parts guru said. He runs the Mitsu store here where I live. He indicated that the parts he recommended to replace was the bearings and seals. I don't know how shipping is to Canada, but if you would like I will pass on his number. He really is into cars, has his own dirt circle track race car i help him with sometimes @ the Speedway. He is super helpful w/ vintage parts. I have both a mint 87 Conquest TSI and a 91 Stealth R/T TT and the parts he has found amazes me for vehicles that old. He has a super work ethic which shows thru everytime I go there.

Andy 2
04-09-2013, 02:39 AM
Thanks, that may be the way to go if the parts are only available from Mitsubishi. Perhaps your friend could give you a list of part numbers for each application. I don't know if the 2wd and 4wd bearings and seals are the same or not. Or whether they change from 1st gen to 2nd. I had my 5 speed trans rebuilt and the tranny shop had no problem getting the bearings and seals. If that's all that's required I don't foresee any problems. I've ordered small parts from Bruce Titus Automotive in Washington before and shipping was around $20 for a small light package, USPS. The shipping cost for the differential will be more I imagine.

yamahlr
04-09-2013, 07:30 AM
I will hope to have all interested counted this week and call for shipping and any other particulars at the end of the week. I will note you live in Canada when I speak to them. Thanks.

noahwins
04-09-2013, 10:42 AM
I think I'll take one so long as it's a direct fit into my RWD 3.9 housing and is 100% compatible with a KM135. How much are the bearings and seals going to run?

Might be worth it to ask on HotRodCoffeeShop.com and Project Zero G forums, too.

EDIT: Just got an opportunity on a new place so I will probably NOT be purchasing one of these unless it's still available a few months from now.

yamahlr
04-12-2013, 10:44 AM
So to sum up, is anyone interested in purchasing one of these units?

4cylinders
04-12-2013, 11:28 AM
hey, yes asap.

Andy 2
04-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Yes, and if you don't get enough response to make it worth while I would like to know where I can order one.

yamahlr
04-14-2013, 10:22 AM
OK I will call the rep tomorrow. Without the group buy, you would have to call a retailer and get a price from them. The company will not sell piecemeal(one at a time) parts, they aren't set up for that and this was a sideline for their 'meat and potatoes" business. I'll post accordingly with further info. I believe the following will be how they do it: I will get a shipping quote ( I'm trying for a flat rate for the U.S. to make it simplier) then you'll need a bank check or money order to the company. I will collect and send them in with the address you want the lsd sent to. Their shipping point is not that far from me location wise so that should move quickly. If all else failed, I would be willing to drive down, pick them up and ship them to members for whatever the shipping charges are. If they will not do such a small amount in the GB I may buy a number of them and sell them myself. From speaking to the rep.,he had hopes to sell a number more of these in one shot so we'll see what shakes out this week. BTW. I spoke w/ the guy who does a lot of diif work in the city who is going to do mine. He indicated about $200-250 for the R&R. Had the factory diagram said very straightforward in and out job. Be sure to purchase a pinion seal, and axle seals and inspect bearings. My truck has such low miles he felt all parts other than the pinion seal could be reused.

Andy 2
04-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Can they tell you who the retailers are? I checked out a few and our lsd was not listed.

4cylinders
04-20-2013, 08:20 AM
hey, any new info on this deal?????

yamahlr
04-22-2013, 05:38 PM
I am trading phone calls w/ the rep. The email is the number of units we will be ordering, but I think we can work this out. I hope to speak w/ him tomorrow. They had hoped the group buy would involve enough or nearly enough to sell all the units in their inventory, but it doesn't appear that is going to happen.

yamahlr
04-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Fellas, I am about done with this rep. He wants me to put the amount of the sales for each lsd on MY charge card and charge me sales tax which I would have to collect from each of you plus shipping. He lowered the price to $285 plus sales tax to me then I would have to pick them up plus which is 8 hours round trip plus charge individually for shipping from my address to yours. I have to tell you I've about reached my limit. I have several hours in chasing this down and have only $85 in sales tax to potentially show for it. In my opinion this is why they have been on the shelf so long.

Andy 2
04-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Do they not have dealers that they sell to? Perhaps if we went through a dealer we could arrange a group buy and still get a discount. A dealer might be a little easier to work with. Let someone else deal with the rep who can just charge it to their account. Someone who could sell them on e-bay would be ideal. We could each pay with PayPal and you wouldn't have to put out all the money up front, or deal with the shipping etc.

4cylinders
04-30-2013, 04:23 PM
hey, any new info on this deal?

yamahlr
05-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Dilligence has it's rewards guys. I did not like the way I was (we) were treated and called to speak to the owner. After much wrangling, had a 45 min. conversation with the e-commerce manager. The end result is this (drumroll): The units will cost $250.99, and free shipping and NO sales tax. I have a link you can go to to get this price directly from the company. I don't really know how to post an email here so I'm going to write it out. If you have a problem,someone who can paste the email, contact me and I'll forward the email the manager sent me with the link and you can post it. The link is the following: http://www.driveoffroad.com/closeouts/limited-slip-differential/. Enjoy! The guy in Canada, if you still need someone to ship the Mitsu parts, I'll speak w/ my parts guy this week to see if he would ship there.

4cylinders
05-01-2013, 07:45 PM
hey, thank you!!!!
on the way, will post when it arrives.

camoit
05-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Don't forget to use friction modifer...

Fordubishi
05-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Like Sawdust or Sand ???

4cylinders
05-01-2013, 09:12 PM
hey, it comes with it.
sawdust for noise, sand for break-in?

camoit
05-01-2013, 10:06 PM
No No No,,,, Feathers and tampons.. This is for a truck, for god sake.

Andy 2
05-02-2013, 03:33 AM
Thanks for thinking about me yamahlr. I will try ordering one and see if the free shipping applies to Canadian orders if indeed they will ship to Canada. As for the seals, if Rock Auto doesn't have them I will need them shipped from a Mitsu dealer down south.

yamahlr
05-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Obviously no one has gone to a technical school, it's honey nut Cheerios as a friction modifier!

Andy 2
05-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Well, the free shipping does not apply to Canada, but then it never does.:wtf: I ordered one today. Shipping $46.90, not too bad. Keep me informed about the seals please. If your friend can ship them here that would be great.

yamahlr
05-02-2013, 05:05 PM
So you can't get them in your neck of the woods?

Andy 2
05-03-2013, 03:40 AM
I have contacted Mitsu dealers about other parts in the past, with part numbers, and they tell me their system does not go that far back. I don't think Mitsubishi has been in Canada all that long and their database is not synced with Mitsu in America. Dodge dealers may be able to get them but I have not checked yet as we were not sure the diff deal was a go. The last time I tried to order anything from them they told me that the vehicle was no longer serviced. If you know the part numbers of the seals and bearings we need that would help me out a lot in checking with them. Also, when the tranny shop replaced the back seal on my 2 wd's auto trans they found it at a local industrial supplier of power transmission components. it was an on the shelf item. In this case, however, I don't want to wait until I have the diff installed to find out the parts are not available.

Fordubishi
05-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Mitsubishi has only been in Canada since 2003 before that all we got was the rebadged Dodge's.

4cylinders
05-04-2013, 04:30 PM
hey, these seals should be available at your local parts store.
with a name like princess, maybe not?

4cylinders
05-04-2013, 04:50 PM
hey, timken part numbers, 224570 pinion seal.
225110 rear wheel seal.
if they don't carry timken, these numbers should cross.
Timken/Pinion Seal - Rear Part Number: 224570

Andy 2
05-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Thanks, There's a bearing ans seals place in the city I'll check. They carry Timken. Are the bearings Timken also?

4cylinders
05-05-2013, 11:09 AM
hey, they should have a listing for them.
should save you a lot of time and money buying localy.

yamahlr
05-05-2013, 01:05 PM
hey, they should have a listing for them.
should save you a lot of time and money buying localy.

You're right on the money with the parts you indicated, plus (according to my install guy, axle bearings if the truck has alot of miles and inspect the axles).

Andy 2
05-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Yes it would, I suppose the tranny shop will decide whether or not to replace the bearings and get them if needed. I can check out those seal numbers to see if they are available.

yamahlr
05-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Agree, but check to see if they are readily available, otherwise the truck might be sitting in the shop waiting for the bearings to come in if they are not a stock item. I am trying to avoid that, so truck is not laid up 1/2 done@ shop.

Andy 2
05-07-2013, 03:39 PM
I'll have the tranny shop get all the parts together before starting.

4cylinders
05-08-2013, 05:14 PM
hey, it's here, looks good, did not come with friction modifier.
came in auburn box, made in japan, auburn part #742007.
will put together tomorrow.

yamahlr
05-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Can't wait to hear your thoughts. What did you have to assemble? If you use a synthetic like Mobil1 or Royal Purple, they "say" you don't need a friction modifier. I worked my a** off to get this together hope it works well.

4cylinders
05-10-2013, 08:56 AM
hey, thanks for all your hard work.
great price for a nice unit, wish I could afford another one or 3.
my daily is down for brake parts, so will be next week before I can assemble it.
don't have a bearing press or it would be done.
have not done any research on different gear oils.
friction modifier keeps lsd's from chattering when turning corners.
unless of course you use a little too much throttle.

pennyman1
05-13-2013, 06:53 PM
still need the friction modifier with the syn gear oils - best one out there is the factory ford 9" friction additive - reider racing uses it in ALL lsds new or old

yamahlr
05-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Great info thanks!

4cylinders
05-16-2013, 05:41 PM
hey, the carrier is assembled.
may install next week or sooner.
ordered another one yesterday for the daily.
oops, auburn part # is 942007.

yamahlr
05-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Sounds great! FYI, Additional "detective work" I've done, the Auburn Co. marketed the unit made by Fosuki Fuji.searches indicate a number of units made for a variety of o.e.m application in Japenese vehicles. Overall performance seems avareage or above average as compared to several more expensive units. I also read posts that recommend soaking the unit in fossil (cheap) gear oil prior to install. I haven't gotten to my tranny guy on this point but intend to. Anyone else w/ such a recommendation? All the best on the install.

Andy 2
05-22-2013, 03:11 AM
I stopped by the tranny shop yesterday and got the ball rolling on the lsd install. The mechanic called his supplier to try and order the bearing and seal kit for it without success. He is going to to try the Dodge dealer next. If there is no luck there he says they will be able to pull the rear end apart and order the bearings and seals individually from a bearing supplier but this will take more time and be more costly.

4cylinders
05-22-2013, 07:28 AM
hey, all the part numbers are on the net.
any auto parts store worth a hoot can get them.
maybe it's just canada?
sorry, but it's just not not that hard to do.

Andy 2
05-22-2013, 04:20 PM
It could be the Canada factor. My tranny mechanic says he can get them by special order that will take a week and cost me $ 365 without axle seals. I've ordered the parts from a Mitsu dealer in USA. I was able to get everything but the collapsible sleeve. It'll still take a week or so but the cost is less.

yamahlr
05-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Let me know if my Mitsu guy can assist, what is the collapseable sleeve you're speaking of? What did the tranny guy say about the lsd as far as quality etc..?

camoit
05-22-2013, 07:24 PM
It's a crush sleeve. It is what sets the preload on the pinion bearing and is also for the heal and toe setting of it. They normally get replaced as there only good for 1 use. Once you squish it past the point of the correct setting there junk.

Andy 2
05-23-2013, 03:09 AM
He said the Auburn lsd was a good quality unit. He wants to replace the pinion bearings and both carrier bearings as my truck has quite a few miles on it. He says they can reuse the sleeve if they are careful.The sleeve is no longer available from Dodge or Mitsu. I imagine they will use a torque spec to preload the bearings with the old sleeve as a spacer.

yamahlr
05-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Looks like you know your way around this stuff, kind of like you've done it before?

Andy 2
05-24-2013, 02:05 AM
Never done an auto differential before. Being a millwright it kinda comes naturally, also, I ask a lot of questions. I'd like to be there to see the installation but there's no way to get the day off work for that.

PowerRam348
05-24-2013, 08:21 PM
as far a friction modifier goes, i use equa-torque in my stock diff's. i started using it years ago and it locks up the rear and front diff's like you put a locker in them. i went from one-tire-fire before using it to positive traction after using it... but you got to add it in at every oil change. also, if you use 100% lucas oil stablizer in your diff's, that will get rid of the one-tire-fire as well.

4cylinders
05-25-2013, 04:10 PM
hey, mitsubishi does not use a crush sleeve.
they use a spacer with front and rear bearing shims.
check the factory service manual.
MB185336, MB241925 shim kits

Andy 2
05-26-2013, 06:21 AM
That should make it easier for them to change the pinion bearings. They won't have to worry about collapsing a sleeve too much. I would think the shims and spacer should be reusable. The seals and bearings should be here in a week or so and then it'll take a week to get the truck in for the installation. If there are any issues at all I'll post here. I really trust the guys at Pioneer Transmission here, they rebuilt my 5 speed and they do the service on my automatic tranny and any other drive train work. They've been around a long time and are always busy.

Andy 2
06-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Well the bearings and seals arrived yesterday all the way from Olympia, Washington. All genuine Mitsubishi parts. I ordered them myself as the tranny shop uses Canadian suppliers and the price was around $325. I saved $100 after shipping costs. Made the appointment to have the install done on June 25th. Is there a gasket required for the diff cover or does it use a reusable rubber seal?

Andy 2
06-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Well, the bearings and seals arrived yesterday all the way from Olympia, Washington. All genuine Mitsubishi parts. I ordered them myself as the tranny shop uses Canadian suppliers and the price was around $325. I saved $100 after shipping costs. Made the appointment to have the install done on June 25th. Is there a gasket required for the diff cover or does it use a reusable rubber seal?

yamahlr
06-15-2013, 08:52 PM
The diagram provided by Mitsu doesn't identify one, I'll hit the factory parts book tomorrow.

4cylinders
06-15-2013, 09:14 PM
hey, part number is MB092375.
fits 79-92 or more.

Andy 2
06-30-2013, 07:42 AM
the installation was done on Wednesday. I did not get to speak with the tech as they were closed when I picked up the truck. Looking at the parts that they replace I would say that one of the bearings was difficult to remove as it is in pieces. There were no notes with the invoice indicating any issues. My total cost with the installation is a little over the one thousand dollar mark. Not bad for Canada.

yamahlr
06-30-2013, 05:08 PM
What are your thoughts on the unit?

Andy 2
06-30-2013, 05:50 PM
When I looked at it when it first arrived I was impressed at how robust it looked. It felt nice and heavy as well, not a light weight flimsy unit. The casting was nice and clean with no rough edges or imperfections. All the components appeared to be nice and tight. There were no funny noises when I shook it. It's obviously a good quality piece. Now that it's installed I notice a slightly different feel when cornering but the friction modifier is doing its job of allowing enough slip to prevent the inner wheel from spinning. My reason for getting one was for winter driving. Now, I should get a more positive drive from the rear and not need the four wheel to get out of my driveway.
I know that being in Canada my costs were a bit higher than they would have been in the U.S. with shipping and taxes but I don't think anyone could go wrong having one put in. You did a great job of putting that deal together, much appreciated.

yamahlr
07-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Glad it's working out! I had hoped to have mine in but alas, I went to do the Tuff Pan install, and two of the trans pan bolts broke as I tried to remove them, so the trans has to come out to fix this mess. I'm going to do a clutch along w/ the trans bolt fix and the Tuff Pan install. Thinking of the Centerforce II ( I called Midway Industries and the rep. said the CF II would be best for my application and intended usage). Any thoughts or past experience on this choice?

Andy 2
07-04-2013, 03:28 AM
Not really. When I had my engine and trans rebuilt I replaced the clutch with a stock one as I use my truck as a daily driver and don't need a high performance one. The original clutch had 225,000 kilometers on it and still didn't look too bad so I just replaced it with the same. What is your intended usage?

pennyman1
07-04-2013, 07:04 PM
I have the Centerforce dual friction clutch disk with the CF II pressure plate for 25 years now - no complaints. I also run a lightened stock flywheel.

yamahlr
07-12-2013, 03:01 PM
I just use it as a toy for the most part, always tinkering with something on it. Will move up to the dual 44 Mikuni set up when this latest debackle is over. I used to pull my boat w/ it (22 foot w/ Chevy engine). Used alot of clutch at that time. Also to pull my tractor out of the snow where I used to live.

Maurice
08-20-2013, 02:24 PM
I ordered a Power Brute LSD today from Drive Off Road for $250.99 no tax and free shipping for my 79 Arrow pickup. I have been looking for one of these units for a couple of years and this seems like a good deal. I have swapped in a Ford 302 and I hope it does the job. I really appreciated all of the great information that I got from all of the contributors.

Lon Moer
11-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Diligence has it's rewards guys. I did not like the way I was (we) were treated and called to speak to the owner. After much wrangling, had a 45 min. conversation with the e-commerce manager. The end result is this (drumroll): The units will cost $250.99, and free shipping and NO sales tax. I have a link you can go to to get this price directly from the company. I don't really know how to post an email here so I'm going to write it out. If you have a problem,someone who can paste the email, contact me and I'll forward the email the manager sent me with the link and you can post it. The link is the following: http://www.driveoffroad.com/closeouts/limited-slip-differential/. Enjoy! The guy in Canada, if you still need someone to ship the Mitsu parts, I'll speak w/ my parts guy this week to see if he would ship there.

Well, I got one:) Thank you yamahlr for arranging this deal.:thumbup:
I'm going to pull the third member from my parts truck and have it rebuilt with this lsd unit.
So far I'm going to need;
- a pinion seal and carrier gasket
- a pair of carrier bearings
- a pair of pinion bearings
- some Lucas 75W Syth gear oil
- oil modifier?
- front nut
-
How about the drive gear bolts? Can they be reused or are the stretch necks?

Lon Moer
02-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Well, I got one:) Thank you yamahlr for arranging this deal.:thumbup: I'm going to pull the third member from my parts truck and have it rebuilt with this lsd unit. So far I'm going to need; - a pinion seal and carrier gasket - a pair of carrier bearings - a pair of pinion bearings - some Lucas 75W Syth gear oil - oil modifier? - - How about the drive gear bolts? Can they be reused or are they stretch necks?
The answer is 'no'.
According to the Mitsubishi factory shop manual; pg 27-27 Differential Carrier, step #24. Installation of drive Gear, (1) Clean the drive gear attaching bolts.

thehive
07-20-2014, 01:51 PM
what is the difference in the power brute offered for the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder Mighty max? did the V6's come with a bigger rearend?

pennyman1
07-20-2014, 06:03 PM
it depends - they should all be the 8" rear diff, but there was a 1 ton model that came with the 9" rear - I do know the 9" came in 2nd gen Monteros, and some of them were air lockers.

thehive
07-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Well they have three different part numbers for the power brutes. One for the 4 cylinder, one for the v6 with "spacers", and one for v6 with out spacers. So I'm guessing they have different axles

Sscorpion
09-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know if we can still get these lsd for the 250ish price? i went to the link and they are damn near $500!!! DO i need to call and tell them about this site price?? Any info would be great

Andy 2
09-02-2014, 10:09 PM
I believe these units are no longer being manufactured and there were a limited number available over a year ago.

thehive
09-03-2014, 08:42 PM
I just bought mine from www.thejeephut.com for $350 plus shipping. This was the cheapest I have found, and they are right they have been discontinued. If you can wait about a week I may have a stock LSD for sale here soon.

Sscorpion
09-05-2014, 01:47 PM
ok sounds good let me know. How many miles on it?

BradMph
09-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Just tell them that you are a member of this forum which has some decent clout and can send them extra business if you can be treated with a better lower price. Don't be afraid to haggle prices in a friendly manner with businesses supporting our trucks. You don't want to give us a bad name or rep, but sometimes a little influence of possible future business can get a few dollars off for yourself. Be sure to pass on a discounted price to fellow members as well. That's what we are here for, among all the other reasons. :)

Sscorpion
09-08-2014, 08:45 AM
ok sounds good thank for the info

thehive
09-08-2014, 03:33 PM
I should be getting the rearend this week. It will be out of a 4x4 model if it has one. I still have to crack it open and see. I'll PM you thou

Coolhandluke
02-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Just wondering if somebody could clear things up for me? I've got a 88 ram50 4cyl and I'm trying to find a lsd for it but I'm getting confused on what type of rear axle I have, what gears I have, what kind of lsd fits, and where to buy one. could some one clear things up for me, thanks.

BradMph
02-09-2015, 05:37 PM
TYPES OF DIFFERENTIALS
All trucks 79-96 came with what Mitsubishi would call a 8inch differential in the rear

GEAR RATIOS
D50/MMs came with 3 different possible gearing options
3.545 used in certain 2wd trucks let you achieve optimal fuel mileage
3.909 most common gear ratio used in about our trucks most 4x4 came with them for sure
4.222 rarely seen in the D50/MMs only seen so far in 4x4s so far primarily seen in Dodge Raiders/Mitsubishi Monteros
4.625 never came in the trucks only seen in the Monteros/Raiders swaps into our housings

LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIALS & IDENTIFICATIONS OF THEM
LSDs or different gears can be swapped out of various vehicle depending upon wich diff you have if you have the 7.5in diff a rear diff
out of any FOUR CYLINDER MM/D50, Montero/Raider will work

If you have a LSD factory you will have an orange sticker in the door jam and on the differential housing its self talking about the use of LSD additive inside of that housing If you cant find those stickers but still wanting to make sure you do or dont have an LSD you can jack the back of your truck up and spin one wheel then watch the other side to see if it spins in the same direction

Now if you have a 4x4 MM/D50 the rear differential out of a Starion/Conquest will work Starions 1983-1987 (1986/87 widebodies all came LSD, narrowbodies with LSD are more rare) used a 7.5" diff, which will work in the FRONT of a 4cyl truck/rig. Starions 1988-1989 used a 8.0" diff, which will work in the FRONT of a V6 truck/rig. (thanks Robert) If you have a V6 powered truck any first gen Montero/Raider with a V6 will change differentials with your trucks 2nd generation Monteros wont work with the 8in housing available in our trucks I was told the Monteros have a high pinion design compared to the trucks low pinion design

Coolhandluke
02-09-2015, 05:59 PM
ok so I more than likely have a 8inch with 3.545 gears, where is the easiest and most cost effective place I can find a lsd that would fit in it?

Coolhandluke
02-09-2015, 06:02 PM
and my local junk yard only has a 1st gen power ram50 auto 4x4 with the 2.6l, that wouldn't have one in it probably would it?

BradMph
02-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Try car-part.com possible or rockauto.com

pennyman1
02-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Call Feezle's auto wrecking in Enon Valley PA - they had 2 1st gen monteros with lsds last time I was there - 724-336-5755