PDA

View Full Version : battery locations for diesel models

recian
01-26-2013, 02:55 PM
So Before crawling under the truck I'm trying to figure out where the batteries were on the diesel models? Mine has a post mount on the radiator support and cables that run around the engine on the firewall. The bed is so rusted out I can't tell where the battery was supposed to be since I cant see cables on the frame. If anyone has a pic of how the setup is supposed to work I'd appreciate it. I know pennyman usually has odd info like this.

pennyman1
01-26-2013, 05:54 PM
The battery was located in a compartment under the bed on the right side right behind the cab - you removed the front bed panel to access it. The battery was moved to make room for the diesel workings to fit. I have a friend that has 3 turbo diesels, but I am not sure when I can catch up to him to take pics of one of his trucks - he works a lot of weird shifts.

recian
01-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Id appreciate it if u do. Id like pics of a working truck before i dismantle mine since im sure its been through many hands and shadetree mechanics. My driver side is gone so i can see the tank and lines. Passenger side doesnt seem to have any panels to access the battery. It could have rusted together too. Such a rusty bed, most of the floor and inner panels are gone

pennyman1
01-26-2013, 06:04 PM
The pic you posted shows the lower right front panel on the bed is still intact - pull it off and you should have your answer unless someone moved it.

recian
01-26-2013, 06:15 PM
The red truck is the 86 2.6L. It's battery is under the hood, as is the 83 diesels (first year) seen here:

http://www.dieselram.com/showthread.php?t=167410

The panel of the 84 (white truck) is a solid ball of rust so I'll have to scrape out the leaves and dig for it more. I was digging today but couldn't find the edges but it was 28 degrees and the truck was covered in ice from the storm last night so I gave up pretty quick. Following the wires it looked to be on that side so I'll have to dig more when it warms up. Looks like I can just relocate the washer jug about 3" towards the firewall and keep the existing engine bay battery mounting setup from the 86 (as seen on the truck in the link) This would keep me from having to modify a perfectly good solid rust free bed. And keep from having to cut out the mounting brackets too.

ikeepzitclean
01-27-2013, 01:18 AM
i think it was on our board around here somewhere in one of the threads where I seen a truck mount the battery tray on the passenger side by the firewall. idk if thats something u considered. cant find the thread, but I know I seen it done before.

recian
01-27-2013, 05:34 AM
It was. It was a yellow first gen. I wana say it was Fordubishis truck

bb_max
01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong.
The battery access is not through the box floor. You need to remove the lower panel on the outside of the box, in front of the wheel well. Think rocker panel, but on the box.

pennyman1
01-30-2013, 04:23 PM
That is where it is.

recian
01-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Yep, had my dad check my d50 since it's at his place cuz i have no room til I move which may be soon. He found the rocker panel drops down and there's still a (stone dead) battery in there. The rocker panel is good and the old one unbolts from the gas truck's bed so I can make the setup work on my other truck without damaging or cutting the bed.

pennyman1
01-30-2013, 06:09 PM
I love it when a plan comes together...:))

ikeepzitclean
02-21-2013, 01:57 AM
It was. It was a yellow first gen. I wana say it was Fordubishis truck

yeahh.. that might've been it. lol