PDA

View Full Version : Extended Cab???

eddietude
01-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Just curious, has anyone done an extended cab on any of these trucks? I've got two 1985 D-50's, and am thinking of shortening the bed by about 15", and then adding to the rear of the cab by about 15" to make an extended cab version.

Years ago I did it on an old 79 chevy I had, and it came out pretty good.

If anyone has done this, I'd love to see pics.

Thanks.

camoit
01-07-2013, 12:27 AM
If you look in th thread check this thing out you will see a 4 door truck.

eddietude
01-07-2013, 12:34 AM
don't see it. Is there a link? Thanks.

eddietude
01-07-2013, 12:47 AM
found it. Yeah, I've seen pictures of these, but of course they're not in the US. That's basically what I want, or something similar. Probably won't do a 4 door, because making the doors would be a nightmare...

Acuta73
01-07-2013, 03:12 AM
Interesting you should bring this up!

Was thinking on the same idea. And you provided an answer to me. Couldn't wrap my brain around the wheel wells, how could I extend the cab without moving them? Duh? Chop the front of the bed and transplant the material to the rear. Extend the frame rail a bit, and add another support!

BINGO!

Not interested in 4 doors, but extending the cab? Oh, yes, that interests me..

Might even be able to pull off a full 8ft bed this way. Maybe, might, etc.

Thanks for tipping my brain in the right direction, either way.

eddietude
01-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I'd chop the front of the bed off, remove 15" in front of the wheel wells, then put the front of the bed back right in front of the wells.

Dunno about adding that section to the back though. There are numerous problems with that. First one being, your rear overhang will be HUGE. Meaning you can't put a lot of weight in it....

If you want to stretch the bed, or keep the bed the same length, I'd chop the frame, add whatever you want to it. All that would require is extending the brake lines, fuel lines, wiring harness for everything in the rear, and the rear driveshaft. Really not THAT big of a deal. I mean, if you're going to the trouble to chop the bed, making the frame two feet longer isn't that big of a deal.

but I would NOT add to the REAR of the bed if you plan to use it to haul anything.

This is because you want the weight of any load over the rear axles, NOT hanging off the back.

In your scenario, if you ever tried to haul anything heavy, you'd make the truck very light in the front... not good for steering, especially up hills, or on wet roads, etc.

camoit
01-07-2013, 01:03 PM
don't see it. Is there a link? Thanks.

I think it's the first post.

General Discussion> Check this thing out.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/316-check-this-thing-out

recian
01-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Ya know they had a long-bed version. You could use that model instead. It would give you more to cut into the bed. Maybe another 6"-1' Also if youre feeling gutsy and wana get into the frame you can extend the frame itself and have the driveshaft extended then extend the lines.

eddietude
01-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Ya know they had a long-bed version. You could use that model instead. It would give you more to cut into the bed. Maybe another 6"-1' Also if youre feeling gutsy and wana get into the frame you can extend the frame itself and have the driveshaft extended then extend the lines.

You'd have to FIND a long bed version first....

Acuta73
01-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Good point. Frame extension would be better. And I guarantee you I would haul loads. Always do.

Guarantee I'll have to chop about 2ft off of my frame off the rear as it stands. Salt in Idaho and the mid-West (Kansas) is brutal.

15" a bit overkill for me, but 12" would do it fine! Will see once I have this frame off.