PDA

View Full Version : 89 ram 50 hi idle problems

robdex
01-01-2013, 08:39 PM
i just bought an 89 ram 50 with a new timing belt cant get it to idle down stays idled way high almost like the throttle is open all the way any help would be great the wife needs this for work.thanks again, maybe set the throttle cable or something just cant figure this one out, my ram 100 custom does not have this problem.

camoit
01-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Double check all the timing marks. Make sure the cam is not advanced 1 tooth. Also make sure there is nothing holding the throttle open. The cable should have some slack. Last check for vacuum leek.
Let us know what you find.

robdex
01-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Double check all the timing marks. Make sure the cam is not advanced 1 tooth. Also make sure there is nothing holding the throttle open. The cable should have some slack. Last check for vacuum leek.
Let us know what you find.

think i figured it out young kid owned it, had the idle screw tighened all the way down adjusted timing and set idle looks good so far thanks for the help.

camoit
01-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Well that was fairly straight forward on the repair. Let us know if there is something else we can give you ideas on. It's our pleasure.

manorchurch
01-04-2013, 05:26 AM
Why did the kid tighten down the idle screw? There must have been something else going on that the maxxed-out idle compensated for.

Watch out for spreading the idle needle seat on that carburetor. You'll need a new throttle-body if he tightened the screw down real hard. If you can replace the needle, and it fixes, you're lucky. Symptom is uneven idle that absolutely will not adjust out.

Twinser
04-09-2019, 08:00 AM
Is there a specific way to adjust idle screw

geezer101
04-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Wind the idle air needle in until it seats, then turn it 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns out. Wind out the throttle stop and wind it back in until it is just resting on the linkage. Start it up and check ignition timing, then make your adjustments (hopefully nobody has messed with the SAS-1 and 2 screws)

Twinser
04-10-2019, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the reply geezer 101 n yes more than happy to help out with a donation will try it out later today but ? Wats the sas 1 & 2 screw