PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap list

recian
12-14-2012, 07:11 AM
So I noticed my power thread turned into an engine swap thread so I figure I'd make another for potential engine setups. I've established that:

2.4 trucks can be built since the engine will handle it
2.0 trucks can be swapped with 4g63 easily
3.0 trucks can be swapped with Stealth/3000gt and VR4 setup engine
Any truck can be swapped to a 4d55 diesel

Anyone have info on other swaps that can be done without the extreme mods and heavy cash dump like cutting into the frame or body. I'd like to look into a cost effective dodge swap. Keep it in the family. (I know that's going to get taken the wrong way) But No offense to your 4.3 vortec build Camoit lol but I don't really like seeing chevy engines in a MM. It's hard enough seeing them in a RX7. It kinda kills the spirit.

I was wondering if the old school 318 with 727 would work. I know theyre heavier than the v6 but not exessively heavy. Theyre also very easy to come by and repair. I know it'll fit in the engine bay. Before the storm flooded the truck I had a 93 ramcharger doner with ecm, harness etc that had been wrecked and it was the magnum too. However I've still got access to some older 360s, 383s, 400s and 440s.

pennyman1
12-14-2012, 07:43 PM
look for foolonthehill and fordubishi's threads for v8 swaps - fools truck is a mopar 360

camoit
12-14-2012, 10:07 PM
You can always get a Chevy V6 4.3L. early model. like a 1992. Then the block and bell housing is the same as a Chevy small block. Then you can use any trany you want to behind it. The big factors are SMOG, money, and time.

recian
12-15-2012, 06:02 AM
I have time and smog means nothing here. the truck is a 94 so as long as it's tires and lights are good it'll pass inspection every year. I've read up on the 318/360 and it seems relatively easy and the 318 can be built into the 400s if necessary. I think a mild build 300hp would be pretty daring and make the truck haul if you could get traction. They said the big blocks are harder to fit since they are bigger but it's lke the 318/360 blocks were made to fit. All they need from what I read is custom mounts, custom oil pan, custom exhaust and driveshaft. I can wire in the gauges easy enough and run a 727 from an older truck with speedo cable or just swap in the 94+ truck cluster and run a EFI truck.

camoit
12-15-2012, 01:41 PM
I have a built 4.3 now. But there's nothing stock about my build. But I did do a parts list in my build thread. I used the early model block with the vortech heads. They flow better then the early model heads. The oil pan will be the hardest thing to find. Engine mounts are easy. I have a hole list of links in the link section on where to find things and look for them.