PDA

View Full Version : Scratched cylinder wall

Ramit
04-23-2011, 08:24 AM
What options would I have to repair a scratched cylinder wall? It is a fairly deep scratch, easily catch a fingernail on it. Owner says a piece of the ceramic around the electrode of the #3 plug broke off and caused it. He changed out the plug and has been driving it for the last year like that. Only problem is burning alot of oil, especially at start up and notices blue smoke between gears but not so much at idle. It is a G63B (2.0) out of a 83 Power Ram50. I dont believe honing will get it all. Can it be bored out and oversized pistons installed(availability of parts?) Or can it be resleeved? Or is there another option?

TotallyBalistic
04-23-2011, 09:13 AM
they should be able to bore it out and clean that scratch out but if its to deep they might sleeve it...wouldnt recommend that, be better off just finding another block

crvtec90
04-23-2011, 05:57 PM
You gotta take it to a machine shop and see what they say. I dont believe they would charge you just to look at the bore.
oversize pistons are available somewhere.

pennyman1
04-23-2011, 07:29 PM
You can find .030 to .040 oversize pistons for it if you look on ebay - the 4g63 non turbo pistons are the same. unless its really deep, those oversized pistons should do the trick.

camoit
04-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Take it over to the machine shop. The first thing they will do is clean it, check it for cracks, then measure the bore to see how big it is right now. The taper of the cylinder might be to great, the scratch to deep or the deck may have been cut down to far to reuse the block. It it is good on those 3 things then they look to see if pistons are available to fill the holes they are going to cut. Many times it can be less expensive to find a good block then re-sleeving an old one. It should not cost to much to find out if it is worth reusing.

4doorciv
04-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Other sizes ate availible if you think the 0.030 is a little too big for the scratch. I know it should be fixable at a machine shop. Of course they'll give you the serviceable or not final answer. Gl to you.

Ramit
04-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for all of the reply's everyone. This engine is currently in a truck being driven daily that I am thinking about buying. Sounds like it might make a good project motor. I'll keep ya'll updated.

4doorciv
04-24-2011, 05:46 PM
So you'll buy it? I think ***** still has that 2.0 shortblock. Since that truck is a 2.0 already it should be a bolt on.

Acuta73
04-24-2011, 07:05 PM
If it helps you decide any, my 2.6 had SEVERE scoring in the #3 due to my F'ing up dropping my pistons a long time ago. Got an oil ring trapped under the lower compression ring. I really thing that is about as bad as you could get. Engine shop was able to bore it out and drop in 3 ring flat-topped pistons.

Cost me $500 at the time, but I still think he took pity on me for the unbelievably stupid mistake. (block was also line-bored, boiled, and pressure tested. Crank and silent shafts were balanced.)

4doorciv
04-24-2011, 08:40 PM
That was a really good deal. Mistakes can be made from time to time, no matter how bog. Most things are repairale.

pennyman1
04-25-2011, 05:25 PM
The problem with the block he has sitting is its a g52b, not a g63b like the 83 - whole different animal. But a 2.6 head will fit it (g52b) with little effort.