PDA

View Full Version : 2.4L a/t questions.

recian
12-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Idk where to start this. The mm I Just got has a 1-2 shift issue. Sometimes it'll slip or lag when shifting. It did it when I got the truck and the owner is a big mighty max guy. He gave me 5 qts royal purple ATF, gasket/filter kit along with some engine gaskets. The fluid is dark but not brown or black and he doesnt think it's been changed in awhile.

I'm curious if anyone has used royal purple ATF for these transmissions without flushing all the old stuff out since the RP is synthetic. Plus RP is for SP2/3 trannies and the MM tranny calls for SP.

recian
12-06-2012, 04:26 PM
I talked to my brother today who works on mitsu's and is a big mitsubishi tech. He says the SP3 is similar to DEXRON or ATF+. The newer numbers will work in older number trannies but not vice versa. So SPIII should work in the MM's SP trans.

camoit
12-06-2012, 08:41 PM
It sounds like the filter is clogged. IDK about the Royal Purple. I'm all stick, no slip and slide. Look on the bottle or there site, and see what it says about mixing the 2.

recian
12-07-2012, 04:05 AM
Well they say it can be added to existing fluid but they say it's for Diamond SPII and SPIII. The mm uses SPI

camoit
12-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Well if you want to, then just go get some old regular ATF and put it in there after changing the filter. Won't hurt and it's only a couple of bucks then. Then you know it's the correct thing.

recian
12-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Did some research today. Idk why I never thought of it but the mitsu tranny is a dodge tranny which if you had a dodge it'd say ATF+3 and the SP1 is replaced by SPIII. I found this with some useful info.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2106434

So that means the SPIII from mitsu will work to replace the no longer available SP1 and the Royal Purple is compatable with all ATFs and SPII/II which these replace SP1.

recian
12-08-2012, 12:32 PM
SPIII and ATF+4 are the most up to date fluids which replace all their predecessors and these fluids are synthetic so royal purple should be no different seeing as it's synthetic also like most modern fluids. I'd go buy Mitsu SPIII but the guy is giving me 5 qts free royal purple so that saves me like $50

camoit
12-08-2012, 06:14 PM
It's also on the dip stick what goes in the hole.

recian
12-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Not on this one. It may have had something on it originally but it's long since faded or covered in dirt

camoit
12-08-2012, 06:57 PM
It should be stamped into it about 1/4 of the way down. But ya never know.