PDA

View Full Version : swapping gears

tj mightymax
12-03-2012, 10:26 PM
does anyone know if theres out there a swapping kits from timming belts to timming chain as i read in another thread the belt tends to strip due to the shape of the teeth on the sprockets so i was wondering if there was anything like a conversion kit for this

LSR Mike
12-04-2012, 06:03 AM
going the wrong way, belts replaced chains in almost all cam applications across all manufacturers. the trick is using the right belt.

DroppedMitsu
12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
The belts work just fine as long as its the correct belt. My 2.0 turbo runs a belt and I have had no problems with it. As. Lsrmike said most manufacturers went to belys from a chain, so you don't want to go backwards.

tj mightymax
12-04-2012, 07:31 PM
yeah i guess it was just a thought but after reading some articles i came to to conclusion that it makes sense because if anything happens the worst thing that could happen its that i would have to replace the belt (like i have to right now)

camoit
12-04-2012, 09:08 PM
You need to look at the type of teeth on them. Some are rounded some are square. Make darn sure the belt they give you is the same type. You don't want to use the wrong one.. So take it with you, or match it up before you use the new one.

tj mightymax
12-04-2012, 09:49 PM
i think thats what happened and now i ended up with a stripped belt because i just replaced it not to long ago in fact the belt is still under warranty so as soon as i take this thing appart i will check it out and find out what kind of teeth it has and why it stripped cuz i was driving and all of a sudden the engine stopped and tried to start it and it would crank but not start since it was late i did not find what the problem was untill the next day and found the belt stripped ill post pictures to see what went wrong