PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

MaxinOut
11-24-2012, 02:30 PM
I replaced the fuel filter on my truck, and it ran good for about a day. I ran it low on gas not till it cut off but it was around the E mark I did get another fuel filter to put on it, which I am doing tomorrow. It still is spittin/sputtering/buckling kind of it had the same symptoms except now they are constant and most persistant when it is cold but it does it constantly as I said. I am thinking its the mass air flow sensor and it throws a code and then the light will go off for a while then come back on. I am not too sure what it may be so I am requesting the help of yall professionals. I have a code reader but not the fitting for my port on my truck to read the code. Any help is appreciated

camoit
11-24-2012, 04:02 PM
The fuel pump might be getting ready to crap out on you.

See the manual section> over 216 manuals> Montero and Mighty Max Truck .PDF zip.

6-26 Emissions Control Systems.
You use a volt meter to get the codes. It's old school. :P Thm skanners are fur thm newz fangled trucks.

Fordubishi
11-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Clean the MAF with sensor safe cleaner and see if that helps.

MaxinOut
11-24-2012, 06:33 PM
thanks i will have to do that i appreciate the help

camoit
11-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Also see the ECU codes in the wiki

MaxinOut
11-25-2012, 12:43 AM
how do i check it with a voltmeter exactly?

camoit
11-25-2012, 10:19 AM
in the book they show you what pins to put the meter on. then you count the swings of the needle. the book has a page of examples. Unless someone else knows of a way. But thats how we always did it. A scanner might work. But the plug is behind the center console area. Or drivers side kick panel.

DroppedMitsu
11-25-2012, 02:05 PM
You can go to radioshack and spend $2 on a 12v electric buzzer. And you can check the codes with that. Heres a link to explain how to do it, just ignore the codes on that page, they are for an eclipse; http://www.vfaq.com/mods/wayback/BradBauer/electrical/code.html

MaxinOut
11-27-2012, 05:10 PM
I havent had the opportunity to read my engine codes yet but I was thinking if my o2 sensor wasnt getting hot enough would it cause the issue i am having tomorrow i gotta tighten the bolts back up on my cat because one broke off and the other one that holds the tail end of the exhaust is loose enough apparently that my exhaust is falling down