PDA

View Full Version : Backtobasics....1987 D50

Backtobasics
10-04-2012, 10:09 AM
I just picked up, as a MPG vehicle for daily commute, a 1987 D50 2.6, auto OD.

As purchased, needed a carb or rebuild, and battery, according to previous owner.

It is now roadworthy, with Weber carb conversion, new starter, new battery, new battery cables, new fuel pump, plus full tune up of plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel filter. Previous owner did the tune up stuff, and also changed oil and trans fluid. New tires, and 3 hours of pressure washing. Needs sway bar end links replaced, and probably tie rods.

Standard Cab short bed, black.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u77/backtobasicszm/1987%20D50%20%20The%20Little%20Black%20Truck/D50.jpg

DroppedMitsu
10-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Welcome, looks like you got a nice little commuter. If you need any help/info with anything just ask.

4doorciv
10-06-2012, 01:49 AM
My truck went to an alignment shop after I replaced inner and outter tie rods, pitman arm and idler arm. Was dissapointed cause the steering wheel was not straight. All they could say was there is only one adjustment sleeve and it is a total toe adjustment. Heads up for when you replace the tie rods.

Fordubishi
10-06-2012, 05:19 PM
then your shop is a bunch of idiots...... there are adjustments on both sides, the drivers side is a sleeve and the pass side is adjusted by popping off the inner tie rod and turning it in or out then reinstalling checking and repeating if need be. A lazy shop will not take the time to adjust the passengers side. As for centering the steering wheel just undo the bolt through the hole on the inner fender well, the 4 bolts under the dash, pull the steering wheel off the box, move the steering wheel straight then push it back in to the box.Bolt everything back together.

pennyman1
10-06-2012, 06:31 PM
87 up trucks have both tie rods adjustable; the 1st gen have only one tie rod adjustable. For the first gen, you center the wheels, unbolt the steering wheel, pull off the steering wheel, put the wheel back on straight, then tighten the bolt back up. I had a second gen and watched the idiot doing the alignment take a pipe wrench to the adjusting sleeve and shear off the tie rod end. Then they tried to charge me for the broken part - that didn't happen as I was there when he broke it. Got a nice new tie rod on NTB that day.

4doorciv
10-06-2012, 11:18 PM
They were actually. Complained enough to where they reimbersed me the cost of alignment. My aftermarket steering wheel was almost off by the next bolt (6 bolt hub). Centered it that way. I'll remove the pitman arm again and center it that way when I'm not lazy.

Backtobasics
10-07-2012, 06:02 AM
Luckily, the new job is a truck accessory store with alignment rack. I am going to do the steering, drop it 2.5 front and 3" rear, then get the boys to align it so it goes straight and smooth. Lowering is for fun, but also aerodynamics. An aftermarket wheel is coming too, but a little later.