PDA

View Full Version : brake issues

biller 51
09-18-2012, 10:15 AM
88 2.6. After driving a couple of miles the front discs refuse to release all the way and pull to one side or the other. Stomping on them helps but is not totally effective. The brakes, calipers, hoses, wh brgs are fairly new...<10k miles. Replaced the PVC valve which cured it last time. Suggestions?

camoit
09-18-2012, 11:01 AM
sounds like the brake pedal adjustment or the booster rod adjustment. It might be holding the pressure in the system. Otherwise the calipers are sticking and not sliding correctly in the bracket. Remove the caliper and wire brush the parts where they should slide. File down any burs. Check pedal free play.

mllrtm79
09-21-2012, 10:00 AM
on mine, (also '88 2.6) I had the same problem, replaced the calipers and the problem hasn't come back. The pistons on mine were scarred because it had been sitting for an extended period at some point I believe.

pennyman1
09-21-2012, 10:06 AM
The pistons will pit from water in the old brake fluid and cause them to hang. I would also replace the brake hoses to ensure the hoses haven't collasped from old age - they are less than $5 each from rock auto.