PDA

View Full Version : overheating???

onelozu
04-20-2011, 10:44 AM
okay so the waterpump in my 95 2.4 mightymax was leaking out of the front seal,so i changed it and now its overheating,it didnt overheat before except for when the water was low...any ideas??

4doorciv
04-20-2011, 10:59 AM
First thing I would do is replace that thermostat. Then check waterpump belt tension. From there I'd look for coolant leaks like any clamps that aren't tight, or that stupid o ring around that pipe.

DroppedMitsu
04-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Maybe you have an air bubble trapped in the system somewhere, that could make it overheat.

onelozu
04-20-2011, 11:14 AM
First thing I would do is replace that thermostat. Then check waterpump belt tension. From there I'd look for coolant leaks like any clamps that aren't tight, or that stupid o ring around that pipe.
well,i pulled the t-stat,the belts are tight,and i didnt see any leaks,it holds the water good,just overheats.. how could the o ring make it overheat?

Maybe you have an air bubble trapped in the system somewhere, that could make it overheat.

how would i go about getting an air bubble out? i tried burping the system but it didnt do anything

4doorciv
04-20-2011, 11:24 AM
The o ring was an example of a place to look for leaks.

onelozu
04-20-2011, 11:29 AM
The o ring was an example of a place to look for leaks.

oh lol cause when i changed the pump i left the old o ring cause i didnt realize that i had a new one,but it doesnt leak..

also,instead of the gasket i used permatex,think i coulde accidently covered up anything that wouldnt let the water flow right?? before i have to go pull the truck all apart again just to see if thats possible

4doorciv
04-20-2011, 12:15 PM
On that note, the new gasket only covers the perimetor of the water pump. Bit the entire thing. How much did you put on?

crvtec90
04-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Make sure your radiator isnt clogged. With the truck up to temperature use your hand to feel the air coming across the radiator....Dont get hit by the fan!. You should feel warm-hot air being blown by the fan. If the fan clutch is just free spinning you might not be getting enough air to cool the radiator.

l.k.
04-20-2011, 06:37 PM
all the above is about all i could think of as i was reading.

good luck and keep us posted on progress in solving this issue

onelozu
04-20-2011, 10:32 PM
On that note, the new gasket only covers the perimetor of the water pump. Bit the entire thing. How much did you put on?
i covered only what the gasket covered

Make sure your radiator isnt clogged. With the truck up to temperature use your hand to feel the air coming across the radiator....Dont get hit by the fan!. You should feel warm-hot air being blown by the fan. If the fan clutch is just free spinning you might not be getting enough air to cool the radiator.

ill try that in the morning,also it seems that when the truck starts getting warm the water in the radiator stops moving

4doorciv
04-21-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure what else if it's not a leak or thermostat or bubble.

Ramit
04-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Maybe you reinstalled the thermostat upside down.

l.k.
04-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Maybe you reinstalled the thermostat upside down.
i have done that before....epic fail on my behalf....

4doorciv
04-21-2011, 06:44 PM
That could be the case. He did say that he pulled the t-stat. I guess it means it doesn't have one?

l.k.
04-21-2011, 07:09 PM
i took it as it was removed...he should tune in soon and let us know...

Ram50Man
04-22-2011, 04:51 AM
did you flush the coolant system when you replaced the water pump? you need to any time you change the pump. You might have jarred loose some old crud, cause of the new Pump, and its now clogging something. First thing I would do is get the truck up to operating temp, check your hoses by squeezing them and feel for coolant running through them. Im assuming you removed the T Stat completely? kinda what it sounded like, I would definetly get a mid temp one and put it back in. Another thing that can cause overheating is a blown Head Gasket, do you have any inter mixing of fluids? Oil in water or water in the oil?