PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering leak

Sergio T
08-25-2012, 09:03 AM
I have a 1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max. The Power Steering fluid reservoir has been leaking from the cap. Is there a simple fix? Maybe just buy a new cap, or replace the rubber gasket? Comments, thoughts, ideas?

Thanks in advance!

crvtec90
08-25-2012, 09:21 AM
When you say it leaks do you mean overflowing or just a little bit of residue? If its just an oily film then I would try a new rubber gasket or cap. But If its overflowing then you probably have air in the system making the fluid foamy causing it to come out of the cap.

Sergio T
08-25-2012, 03:58 PM
When I runs it, it's fine. Now, once I shut it off, it overflows like a valcano. So how do I get the air out?

crvtec90
08-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Theres a few things to check. Can you see bubbles/ foamy fluid in the resevoir while its running? There might be a screen in the resevoir and you need to check if it is clogged. Also, any leaks will cause air in the system. Even if its just an old hose clamp or damp hose that isnt necessarily leaking badly it will still let air in. Small leaks let a little bit of air in and over time become a lot. Usually when there is air in the system it makes the pump whine/moan. Check all the hoses, even the ones going to the cooler and see if they are damp and make sure the clamps are tight. Look at the gearbox all over and on the pitman shaft for leaks. The pump has a fitting with an 0-ring that the resevior is connected to.

You can try to raise the front of the truck off the ground so the wheels are in the air....and with the engine NOT running turn the steering wheel back and forth all the way maybe 20-30 times and see if it will purge some air.

Sergio T
08-25-2012, 09:12 PM
It is foamy once it erupts. When I purge it, do I leave the cap on or off? I'll check for leaks in the morning. This sounds like I may need my mechanic take a look at it. smh.

crvtec90
08-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Id take the cap off when purging

Sergio T
08-27-2012, 09:10 PM
It worked...for now. I drove it around the block and no leak. I'm going to take out and cruise for a couple of hours and see if it leaks once I park it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!