PDA

View Full Version : Timing question

MaxinOut
08-02-2012, 09:01 AM
My truck is back up and running but the timing is excessively retarded no power and rough idle. I was going to adjust it but someone told me i could take the plug wires off the cap and move them all over by one. I just wanted to know if this would work and which way i would rotate them 1-4 or 1-2 thanks. Also i dont mind if it makes the timing slightly advanced

camoit
08-02-2012, 10:05 AM
If it's running then that will not work. It only has a range of movement. To advance the dist you turn it in the "Opposite" direction of rotor rotation. If that is not enough then you need to pull the dist and advance it by 1 tooth and re-time. If you look at the cap and the firing order of the wires then you would turn the dist in the opposite direction. I want to say the direction of advance is counter clockwise. OR the direction of the vacuum advance will pull.

OutcastZeroOne
08-03-2012, 07:56 PM
it could also be that you have a vacuum leak and your distributor isnt getting proper vacuum at RPM. Ive also seen the vacuum motor on the distributor go bad before too.

camoit
08-03-2012, 08:18 PM
it could also be that you have a vacuum leak and your distributor isnt getting proper vacuum at RPM. Ive also seen the vacuum motor on the distributor go bad before too.

OR the line is hooked up incorrectly to the wrong place.

MaxinOut
08-07-2012, 09:15 AM
i just had to move the distributor over a notch =) SHES ALIVE AND WELL AGAIN

camoit
08-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Wasn't that hard, was it.

MaxinOut
08-14-2012, 02:00 PM
it twas cake work mmmmm cake