PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt engines

artr01
07-10-2012, 10:02 AM
I was wondering if anybody on this website has had any experience with Napa's rebuilt engines. I have a 1992 Mitsubishi mighty max with close to 300,000 and it is using a good bit of oil. Body is still is good condition. My uncle bought new and I got the truck after he died. It only had 6000 miles on it when I got it. It has never been involved in a wreck of any kind. Anyway Napa wants about 2300 dollars for a complete rebuilt engine and I am considering putting down the money. I have had it parked for about 2 years. I kept looking for another one and found a Dodge D50 1992 model that I purchased recently with 151,000 miles also. It has had a rougher life than mine but previous owner has done a good bit of appearance work on it. Just wondering about Napa engines and if anybody has had any experience with them. Thanks for your time.

camoit
07-10-2012, 01:55 PM
What does it come with? Do you give them your engine and they rebuild it or is it an exchange? The price sounds about right.

LSR Mike
07-10-2012, 02:12 PM
if your handy it can be done for a lot less, plus you get to put in go fast parts! I've got a 1992 6 bolt, but it only has 172K.

http://mmeierle.com/blue_engine.htm

http://mmeierle.com/red_engine.htm

http://mmeierle.com/turbo_build.htm

crvtec90
07-10-2012, 02:13 PM
whats the warranty?

artr01
07-11-2012, 05:22 AM
Camoit it is suppossed to be a complete engine. I give them my engine or either pay 375 core charge. The truck I am thinking about installing it in is a mighty max sport. This truck has the tachometer, clock, power steering, carpet, sliding back glass and air conditioning. The warranty is 36 months unlimited mileage. I have some mechanical knowledge but don't think I have expertise to do a engine rebuild. I used to race dirt bikes in my younger days and did several top ends but these were 2 strokes and very simple. But in a way I would like a few performance parts. But to be honest I don't know where to get them or what is out there. I am curious about price if I decided to do it myself. How much less could I do it for? Thanks again

camoit
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Well the price sounds OK to me. I would get it then make sure everything swaps over before taking back the core. I would also strip every bolt to have as a spar. Just enough left to hold it together. I wonder who does it for them.

artr01
07-17-2012, 09:07 AM
if your handy it can be done for a lot less, plus you get to put in go fast parts! I've got a 1992 6 bolt, but it only has 172K.

http://mmeierle.com/blue_engine.htm

http://mmeierle.com/red_engine.htm

http://mmeierle.com/turbo_build.htm

LSR Mike I was wondering how much would it cost to do it myself. As for as performance parts I don't think I would want to do much. Maybe different pistons and that is all. I think I have enough mechanical ability to do it just concerned with the time part because of machine shop etc. I know engine would need boring and crank turned also I am not comfortable doing cylinder head work.

LSR Mike
07-17-2012, 01:52 PM
1 Comp Auto Machine Jet Clean Block $40.00
1 Comp Auto Machine Deck4 CYL Block $48.00
1 Comp Auto Machine Line Hone Block $120.00
1 Comp Auto Machine Bore & Hone 4 CYL Block $80.00
1 Comp Auto Machine Crank Polish & Chamfer& Magnaflux $45.00
1 Comp Auto Machine Balance 4 Cylinder W/Clutch $125.00
1 78-21 Atomic Custom Pistons Pins and Rings $601.00
1 CRS5900MA3D Eagle H-Beam Rods $348.90
ARP 200-607 Rod Bolts $58.34
ARP 207-5401 Main Studs $57.39
MD997168 Engine Overhaul Gasket Set $95.53
Calico ACL Main Bearings $72.40
Calico ACL Rod Bearings $34.97

Just the basics. prices are a few years old.

You'll want a New water pump and Timing belt also, Case of Oil, Antifreeze, belts and hoses, etc... I did'nt have those numbers handy...sorry.

artr01
07-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks LSR Mike I may be getting back with you on where to purchase some of these items. I think now I may try to do my old truck myself and go back stock with it. If I am satisfied with that engine then I may tackle my other one and install some performance parts in it. Looks like I may be able to go stock for less than 1000. Is this correct I didn't see anything in list about cylinder head and camshaft though. Thanks for everything

LSR Mike
07-18-2012, 04:56 AM
Cam, just clean it and put it back in. the head? Mine had a LOT of work done, plan on about 250 for a disassemble, clean and re-surface.

have a good set of metric tools, (most used, 10 MM, 12MM, next 14 MM, then the 19MM for the crankbolt) and a torque wrench. Air tools a plus. Oh yeah, an engine stand $40 at harbor freight, and a understanding wife who lets you spend all weekend several weekends in the garage. Don't forget paint!, this will be the only chance you have to clean and paint a lot of parts.!

Most of the cost is in the tools and time, if you already have them, that's where you save

artr01
07-18-2012, 05:55 AM
Cam, just clean it and put it back in. the head? Mine had a LOT of work done, plan on about 250 for a disassemble, clean and re-surface.

have a good set of metric tools, (most used, 10 MM, 12MM, next 14 MM, then the 19MM for the crankbolt) and a torque wrench. Air tools a plus. Oh yeah, an engine stand $40 at harbor freight, and a understanding wife who lets you spend all weekend several weekends in the garage. Don't forget paint!, this will be the only chance you have to clean and paint a lot of parts.!

Most of the cost is in the tools and time, if you already have them, that's where you save

Thanks after looking at all the numbers I am planing to start this weekend on my old truck and go back stock with it. I am kind of looking forward to starting on my old truck because I have had it so long and it is my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. I will try to get engine out this weekend. Also plan on going through suspension and brakes while engine is out. I am pretty excited right now and thanks for your help.

Acuta73
07-18-2012, 08:12 AM
$350 for the rods? Wow, most of what I've seen for rod upgrades and wrist pins are ~$800. Perhaps I look in the wrong places. Pistons seem about right, though.

LSR Mike
07-19-2012, 11:10 AM
wrist pins and rings came with the pistons, The Eagle Rods were from Summit.

BTW this is a 1992 4G64 6 Bolt motor and P/N's

lush90
07-20-2012, 11:31 AM
If you have a chance, take some photos of your progress and post them. I need some inspiration!

artr01
07-24-2012, 03:54 PM
I think I am going to start this weekend on my old 1992 Mitsubishi mighty max sport. Wife not to thrilled but will be ok with it. I plan on rebuilding engine stock myself. This will be my first car engine. Have done several motorcycle engines but all 2 strokes. Should I pull motor and transmission together or just motor? I think I should pull both together. It has took me a while but I have the engine jack now. I will get engine stand later in the week. I hope it doesn't take me more than 3 months to get it back. I am a little worried about machine shop. They seem slow around here. It looks like not to bad of a job any comments or help would be appreciated.

crvtec90
07-26-2012, 05:30 AM
If the trans is ok then you should just leave it in. It will be more work under the truck lying on your back.

Use a jack under the front of the trans to stop it from falling down while the engine is out. If you want to move the truck then lay a 2x4 across the fender wells and tie the bellhousing with a good strap or chain before removing the jack that is holding the tranny up.