PDA

View Full Version : master cylinder questions

foolonthehill
06-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Whew! Been a while since I've had time to get on some of my favorite forums.
Anyway, my Arrow's been a bit of a hanger queen lately.
After my initial shakedown run out to Berea and back, plus a week of driving there, the old transmission we put in it gave up the ghost.
So I got a new TCI Streetfighter and Breakaway converter for it.
With only a few miles on it, less than 50, I was noticing slippage going into 3rd. Anyway, suffice to say I have some things to work out with TCI, but that is not the point of this post.
While the Arrow is up on jackstands, I decided to put power brakes back in it. My employee, who I'd originally built the truck for, decided to remove the perfectly functioning factory power booster and replaced it with a large plastic Mopar unit off some undetirmined year Dodge truck. (he claimed it would be impossible to remove the valve cover with the power booster. 1) its not, and 2) you shouldn't have to remove the valve cover that damned often on a hydralic cammed street motor, know what I mean?)
So I got a used booster and m/c from a buudy with an all Mopar salvage yard in Tulsa.
Question- did Mitsu offer a m/c without a remote resevior? I saw one on another post here and wasn't sure if it was a Mitsu unit or something on another type truck. The factory m/c is a bit funky looking, which I can deal with...but I'll still have to sort out what line goes where and what the heck the little tiny line is between the two valves on it.
As always, any input and suggestions welcome.

camoit
06-10-2012, 05:22 PM
I want to say the late model Mighty Max is that way.

Fordubishi
06-10-2012, 05:30 PM
First gen's had a remote resevior and Sec gen's had it mounted on top of the M/C.

The back brake line is in the middle of the M/C
The front's go to a distribution block on the front of the M/C

DroppedMitsu
06-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Yup second gens have the reservoir on top of the m/c. But our master cylinder bolts up to the booster differently from what i see in the pic

pennyman1
06-10-2012, 06:41 PM
The 2nd gens use both a different master and booster - change them as a pair and you'll be fine.

foolonthehill
06-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Humm, and I bought the whole setup for a first gen already. OK, who has a picture of the second gen setup?

camoit
06-11-2012, 10:46 PM
If you have a first gen, then use the first gen set up. Just the reservoir may be hard to find.

foolonthehill
06-12-2012, 08:06 AM
I've got the reservoir, I just have to make a new bracket for it since someone hacked the mounting brackets off of the inner fenderwell.
Where can I find a diagram of line routing, and does anyone know the fitting sizes so I can buy new ones and run some new tubing?

camoit
06-12-2012, 09:18 AM
As far as I know, there is no diagram in any manual. But if you look in the factory first gen manual we have it might have somthing to help you. As for the line size just take in the master cylinder with you to Napa and just size them up.

We are lucky, we have a place that specializes in this stuff. Great place, crappy web site. http://www.ccbparts.com/

Can you put up a picture of what you have to work with? It may be easer to find a truck at pick and pull, then just pull the lines or pocket the ends.

foolonthehill
06-12-2012, 03:43 PM
I think you're thinking along the right lines there, camoit. I still haven't mounted the M/C, so I can carry it with me to a parts house and get the male fittings I need, figure the rest out at home.
I've got the same set up as Fordubishi, and what I don't know is where that center line between the two cylinders on the M/C goes to and where or why there's two more fittings on the front of it. Seperate lines for each front wheel? That doesn't make sense...

camoit
06-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Well if you look at Fordbushi's picture, you can see the 2 lines to the front wheels. You should have 3 lines that go to the master cylinder. 1 that goes to the rear and then T's off. And the 2 fronts that connect to the T on the master cylinder it's self.

pennyman1
06-12-2012, 06:31 PM
That's the correct routing for a first gen - If you really want the mount for the first gen reservoir I can cut one out of my first gen parts truck if its still good.

LSR Mike
06-13-2012, 06:04 AM
In the Manuals section here on the site, download the Montero Manual, (FSM_1992-1995_ enginechassisbody.zip)they're basically the same. I checked the 1992 manual, section 35A page 24, Brake line routing, nice Pix!

foolonthehill
06-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks all, as always! I think I've got it figured at this point. No need to cut a bracket out for me, Fordubishi, but thanks! I do a good deal of fabbing, and a piece of aluminum angle should do the job well.
I'll try to get some photos of the truck on here soon, although it looks like my fancy new TCI trans has got to come back out for warranty work with about 40-60 miles on it...