PDA

View Full Version : Motor Choice

MaxinOut
05-02-2012, 02:56 AM
Granted its going to be a while and i mean a WHILE before i get to doing a motor swap in my truck and i plan on doing a bit of research before i make my choice but as of now i pretty much had my heart set on a RB26DETT but then i was thinking to myself hmmmm...what about a rotary motor? I am pretty sure there will have to be a lot of fabrication for either of the two motors but i was just wondering what are yalls thoughts

camoit
05-02-2012, 09:16 PM
The only problem with a rotary is the apex rings. There great when they are new, but 100,000 later there done.

MaxinOut
05-02-2012, 10:47 PM
yeah i know, those are the rotarys weakest link

77amc
05-05-2012, 09:47 PM
NO, not just the weakest.. They naturally run hot, aren't good for mileage, don't build torque until the higher RPM range just for a few.

If you're gonna try modding for an engine like that, I think it would be better for you to look at the different V6's or even the alloy V8's like what Toyota has to offer.
I mean, the pull-its here have several 300zxturbo's just sitting there that NOTHING has been taken off the engines. A OBDI engine ECU, Proven motor, (thier car was probably heavier than our trucks) and so on.

Heck, I'm dropping a '62, Chevy 283 in my 88 long bed with a 200r4 and a 3.73(?)Toyota rear.
I should be around 28mpg city with this light truck.

E