PDA

View Full Version : I need some help

oregonelkelk
04-25-2012, 07:11 PM
I just picked up a 87 toyota with a 4d55 . It came with no info from person who built it . The tranny which i assume to be the type thats in the ram 50 's because shifters look alike and configured the same . So whats The easiest way to get from the output shaft which is way driver side on the transfer case to the front . Should be looking to build a custome straight axle front end or would a ram 50 ifs setup already line up with this trasfer case . I could take pictures if needed . The head has 4d55 on it and it has a 5 speed tranny with a married transfer case .

wrngwae
04-30-2012, 10:16 AM
so the yoda front axle came out the pass side originally? your going to have to get an axle that has the input on the drivers side. no way to send it cross the frame like that sorry.

abeemanator
04-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Wait, you have an 87 yota with a solid front axle? They quit the solid front axle and went to IFS in 1985, I belive you could get a yota tranny and get a bell housing adapter, I remember seeing that truck on Craigslist a while ago, or get a D50 or Mighty Max 4x4 rolling chassis, and swap the engine and tranny

oregonelkelk
04-30-2012, 07:16 PM
It has the stock toyota 87 ifs right now . I am aware that that will not work with the 4d55 setup . I love the power and 28 mpg i'm getting with the diesel though . So really I was wondering what you guys think the easiest way to complete the rig would be . Do i look for a d50 front end to swap onto the toyota ? I think some of the little ford rangers may work also right ? As it seems some of these rigs also had this motor tranny setup ? Thats the only downside to the rig right now is that i really don't know exactly what i got . I sure do love driving it around town though I get some crazy looks from people when they hear the Turbo spooling and the diesel in the little toyota . If i just got a full size dana and went that route what should i expect to pay to have it cut to exceptable length and exles re splined and all that ? I am not aware of a adaptor kit to go from 4d55 to any toyota tranny or this would be the easier route i would think ? Anyone know exactly what other rigs took these 4d55's ? This would help me locate the front axle i am after i would think . New to this forum but i could take and email pictures if anyone has the time to help sort out my headaches .